- Plant your rose where it will get at least six hours of sun each day
- Dig a hole at least 18 inches in diameter and 18 inches deep.
- Discard half the soil and replace it with compost, composted cow manure, peat moss or Espoma Organic Planting Mix.
- Mix approximately 3 cups of Espoma Rose-tone into amended soil. Refill the hole with enough soil so that when the plant is planted, the soil level is the same as the surrounding area.
- Add mulch and water.
Tips when Caring for Roses:
- Feed monthly with Espoma Rose-tone throughout the growing season.
- Prune to promote blooms
- Wear gloves!
- Prune in late winter, when the buds begin to swell.
- Consider plant shape. A rose bush, for example, benefits from the air circulation of an “urn” or vase shape.
- Clean cuts are best. “Bypass” style cutters work very well.
- Clip off any old dead “canes” (stems) or dead portions of them, as close to the plant base (or next to a bud) as possible.
- Water deeply and infrequently – but not the leaves or flowers – that will promote disease! Water in the morning to discourage black spot and mildew.
- Treat disease promptly. Espoma Earth-tone 3 n 1 safely kills fungus, insects & mites.
Make Mother’s Day Rosier than Ever! Give a gift that lives on: A Rose planting.
- Created on .